Fatal Car Accident Attorneys in Atlanta, Georgia
Atlanta is by far the most populous city in Georgia. It is so large that it spans across Fulton County and reaches into nearby DeKalb County. Thanks in large part to the traffic congestion issues we have in Atlanta, Fulton, and Dekalb Counties lead the state in fatal car accidents. Losing a loved one in a car accident has devastating effects on surviving family members – both emotionally and financially.
Legal Help After a Fatal Car Accident
Terrible car accidents don’t happen just in big cities like Atlanta. They happen every day across the state. When a fatal car accident occurs due to another’s negligence or wrongdoing, family members of deceased victims can file what is known as a wrongful death lawsuit to seek monetary compensation for their losses. Going through this process can be challenging at many levels for families. The Atlanta wrongful death attorneys at The Mulholland Law Firm are here to provide compassionate legal representation to families that have lost a loved one in a car accident. Please contact us at (770) 350-2691 to find out how we can help you.
Accidents That Lead to Atlanta Wrongful Death Claims
While accidents can result from weather conditions and other uncontrollable elements, a majority of Georgia car crashes are caused by poor judgment, careless behavior and other preventable factors. Common contributing factors of fatal crashes include:
- Distracted driving: There is a ban on texting while driving in Georgia because distracted driving is extremely dangerous. Drivers who are not focused on the roadway are much more likely to cause a fatal crash.
- Impaired driving: The number of alcohol-related fatalities has dropped in Georgia in recent years, but it is still a major problem statewide. The Governor’s office reports that 277 people were killed in DUI accidents in 2011.
- Reckless driving: Drivers who drive at excessive speeds, ignore traffic lights and behave erratically put everyone on the road in danger.
Proving Wrongful Death
The family of someone killed by a distracted, impaired, reckless or otherwise careless driver would be well advised to consider a wrongful death lawsuit. A wrongful death claim is a civil lawsuit that can help hold a negligent driver accountable for his or her wrongdoing. Car accident wrongful death lawsuits are dependent on two factors:
- Proven negligence: First, you must prove that the at-fault driver’s negligence contributed to the crash that killed your loved one. This can be accomplished, for example, with eyewitness testimony, photos from the crash site and evidence collected from auto accident investigators.
- Damages suffered: Once you have proven that the at-fault driver caused the crash, you must show that you suffered harm because of the accident. With legal guidance, you can show that your family has suffered financially and emotionally as the result of your loved one’s death.
Damages in Wrongful Death Cases
Claimants in wrongful death cases can seek support for burial expenses, lost future wages, the loss of companionship, pain and suffering and other related damages. While there is no compensation that could bring back your loved one, recovery in such cases can give you comfort, a sense of justice and financial peace.
Speak with a Georgia Car Accident Wrongful Death Attorney
If you have lost a loved one in a wreck in Georgia, please contact our experienced Atlanta car accident wrongful death lawyer to better understand your legal rights and options. Call us at (770) 350-2691 for a free consultation and comprehensive case evaluation.